Terms and Conditions & Credit Account Application
The New Zealand Herald, Weekend Herald and Herald on Sunday
APN Regional Newspapers
New Zealand Magazines
APN Application for Credit Account
Download a PDF of the applicaton form here
APN Digital Terms & Conditions
1. ADVERTISEMENTS: APN News & Media Limited (“APN”) accept all Advertisements and notices (“Advertisements”) from any person (“Customer”) for publication on websites under APN’s control (“APN Publications”) on the following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions”). These Terms and Conditions will apply to:
(a) online banner and display advertising on APN websites (“Banner Advertising”);
(b) online advertising on APN websites other than Banner Advertising (“Online Advertising”); and
(c) all other advertising services provided to the Customer by APN in relation to Advertisements (“Other Advertising”),
(together referred to as “Advertising”).
2. TERMS INCONSISTENT: The placing of an order for any Advertising by a Customer constitutes acceptance by the Customer of these Terms and Conditions and of all rates set out by APN in the relevant rate cards unless otherwise agreed in writing by APN. To the extent that any order submitted by the Customer attempts to include terms that are inconsistent with these Terms and Conditions, those terms will not apply.
3. CUSTOMER: The expression “Customer” means the advertiser and, where any Advertising has been placed with APN by an advertising agency (subject to clause 20), includes that agency.
4. ENTIRE AGREEMENT: Subject to clause 23, these Terms and Conditions (including booking confirmations and any credit terms referred to in clause 12 if applicable) set out the entire agreement between the parties in relation to any Advertising and supersedes all prior arrangements, undertakings, representations and warranties by or between the parties in relation to such Advertising.
5. SUBMISSION OF ADVERTISING: If submitting any Advertisements, the Customer must comply with the submission requirements and deadlines set out on the relevant APN website, or otherwise notified to the Customer by APN. APN will not be obliged to accept any Advertisement for publication which has not been submitted in this manner.
(a) Subject to these Terms and Conditions, APN will use its reasonable endeavours to publish Advertisements submitted by Customers in the format submitted by the Customer and in accordance with the placement instructions of the Customer.
(b) Without limiting the above, if APN, in its sole discretion, believes that the placement instructions of the Customer for an Advertisement are inappropriate for any reason, APN may offer the Customer alternate placements. If the Customer does not accept the alternate placements, clause 9(c) will apply.
7. CANCELLATION: The cancellation by the Customer of any Online Advertising for which a booking has been completed in accordance with clause 5, must be in writing. Upon cancellation, the Customer agrees to pay APN the following cancellation fees:
(a) if cancellation occurs 28 days or less but more than 10 working days before the Advertisement goes live, a sum equivalent to 50% of the total booking cost;
(b) if cancellation occurs 10 days or less but more than 5 working days before the Advertisement goes live, a sum equivalent to 75% of the total booking cost;
(c) if cancellation occurs 5 working days or less before the Advertisement goes live, a sum equivalent to 100% of the total booking cost; and
(d) if cancellation occurs at any time after the Advertisement goes live, a sum equivalent to 100% of the total booking cost.
8. CUSTOMER UNDERTAKINGS: The Customer undertakes and warrants to APN that no Advertisement will:
(a) or will be likely to be misleading or deceptive or otherwise infringe the Fair Trading Act 1986;
(b) infringe copyright, trade mark or other intellectual or moral property rights of any person;
(c) contain material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
(d) breach or infringe any laws relating to therapeutic goods, financial services, anti-discrimination, political publication, publication of court or tribunal materials, or any other legislation, regulation, rule or ordinance; or
(e) give rise to any liability on APN, cause APN to be in breach of any law by virtue of publishing the Advertisement, or result in a claim being made against APN.
9. APN RIGHTS: APN may in its absolute discretion:
(a) without notice to the Customer alter or abbreviate any Advertisement or insert the word “Advertisement” above or below any Advertisement which in APN’s opinion resembles editorial matter;
(b) monitor incoming calls for training purposes;
(c) at any time and without notice to the Customer cancel, reject or refuse to publish or continue publishing any Advertisement without providing any reason for such rejection or refusal at any time prior to, or after, publication of the Advertisement, provided this right will not be unreasonably exercised;
(d) re-publish an Advertisement in other APN publications and media (for example APN may publish Online Advertising in its newspapers, or vice versa), which subject to clause 9(e) will be without further cost to the Customer; or
(e) in relation to an Advertisement submitted to APN for publication in print, also publish each listing contained in the Advertisement on APN's relevant website as Online Advertising unless the Customer advises APN at the time of submission that it does not wish to have the Advertisement published on the website. The Customer may be required to pay all related website publication charges (if any); and
(f) the Customer agrees that any personal information about internet users that is obtained by APN as a result of internet users accessing APN’s content pages will only be made available to the Customer if to do so would not breach any of APN’s obligations to its customers which are set out in any other agreement.
10. INDEMNITY: By submitting or authorising submission of an Advertisement for publication or Advertising, the Customer indemnifies APN (and its employees, officers and agents) against any proceedings, demands, losses, costs (including legal costs on a full indemnity basis), damages and other liabilities of any nature taken, made or awarded against or incurred by APN (and/or its employees, officers and agents) in connection with the Advertisement or any Advertising.
11. NO GUARANTEE OR WARRANTIES:
(a) APN does not guarantee that the Customer’s product featured in an Advertisement will be the only product of that type featured in Advertisements on any one page. APN will not be responsible or liable to the Customer in any way if the Customer’s request cannot be granted, or the product featured in the Customer’s Advertisement is not the only product of that type featured in Advertisements on any one page.
(b) Online Advertising will be published via internet accessible Advertisement serving software (“Software”). APN makes no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied of the fitness of this Software for a particular purpose. APN shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or expense incurred in connection with APN’s use of the Software, including without limitation, for any technical malfunction, computer error or loss of data or other injury, damage or disruption of any kind other than as a result of APN’s gross negligence or fraud.
12. CREDIT TERMS APPLY: The Customer acknowledges that any credit provided will be on APN’s then standard credit terms which may vary from time to time. New customers will be required to complete a Credit Application.
13. GST: Unless otherwise stated by APN, advertising rates are quoted exclusive of GST and the Customer will pay GST in addition to such rates.
14. PAYMENT: The Customer must pay APN for Advertisements:
(a) in accordance with the rates set out in the relevant rate cards (which may be varied at any time by APN without notice) unless otherwise agreed in writing by APN;
(b) by prepayment, if so required by APN;
(c) if payment is agreed by APN to be on account, on the credit terms supplied by APN to the Customer; and
(e) on the basis of booked space or advertising material (whichever is larger) provided that if the actual space is reduced, APN will not be liable to the Customer for any credit for such reduction.
15. PRODUCTION SERVICES: If the Customer requires any creative, production, programming, or other services ("Production Services") from APN, the Customer must pay APN additional charges for such services, as notified in writing to the Customer by APN at the time (or shortly after) the Customer requests the Production Services. APN may charge the Customer for these Production Services on a case by case basis.
16. FAILURE TO PAY: If any payment is not received by APN on or before the date that such payment is due, or if the Customer commits an act of bankruptcy (in the case of an individual), or is unable to pay its debts as and when they fall due, enters into any arrangement with its creditors other than in the ordinary course of business, passes a resolution for administration, winding up or liquidation (other than for the purposes of re-organisation or reconstruction), has a receiver, manager, liquidator or administrator appointed to any of its property or assets or any petition is presented for its winding up (all in the case of a body corporate), APN may:
(a) cancel any provision of credit to the Customer;
(b) immediately and without notice, suspend or cancel all Advertising orders of the Customer and terminate any agreement in relation to Advertising not yet published;
(c) require cash pre-payment for any further Advertising;
(d) impose interest at the rate of 2% (two percent) above the Reserve Bank’s 90 day Bill Rate on all sums that remain unpaid until full payment is received;
(c) take proceedings against the Customer for any outstanding amounts;
(d) recover from the Customer all costs incurred by APN in the recovery of any amount owed by the Customer including any mercantile agency costs and legal costs on a full indemnity basis; and
(e) exercise any other rights at law.
(a) Except as expressly provided in these Terms and Conditions, APN excludes, to the fullest extent permitted by law, all warranties, representations and conditions whether implied by law, trade, custom or otherwise. Where APN is liable to a Customer for a breach of implied warranty or condition that may not be excluded, APN’s liability will, to the extent permitted by law, be limited to any one or more of the following (at APN’s option):
(i) in the case of the supply of goods under these Terms and Conditions (if any),:
(A) the replacement of the goods or the supply of equivalent goods or the payment of the cost of replacing the goods or acquiring equivalent goods;
(B) the repair of the goods or the payment of the cost of having the goods repaired; or
(ii) in the case of the supply of services under these Terms and Conditions:
(A) the supplying of the services again; or
(B) the payment of the cost of having the services supplied again.
(b) In no circumstances will APN (its employees, officers or agents) be liable, whether in tort, contract or otherwise for any indirect loss, loss of profits, consequential loss or special or exemplary damage suffered by the Customer or any other person, even if such loss or damages are foreseeable and whether or not APN had been advised of the possibility thereof.
(c) The liability of APN (including APN’s officers, employees and agents) to the Customer, or any other person, for any and all loss or damage arising in relation to these Terms and Conditions and/or Advertisements (including from any errors or inaccuracies however caused, whether by negligence, system, software or press failure, mistake, mis-classifications, early, late or non-insertion of Advertisements, or loss or delay in the delivery of replies) will be limited to an amount equal to the cost of the space of the relevant Advertisement, provided that if the Customer does not advise APN of any error within five days of publication of the Advertisement APN will have no liability whatsoever.
(d) APN will not be liable to the Customer or any other person for any loss of whatever kind suffered as a result of Other Advertising, or an Advertisement not being available for publication or not published where such loss arises from any cause beyond its control. Any loss suffered as a result of any partial or total breakdown of APN's operation or network, any technical malfunction, computer error or loss of data will be deemed to be an event beyond APN's control. Should such an event occur, APN will take responsibility to resurrect sites and links, and the Customer has the right to cancel the particular contract for the affected advertising at no penalty if such an occurrence results in the site being down for more than 7 working days (working days being Monday to Friday inclusive, but excluding statutory holidays). In addition, APN will not be liable to the Customer for any error or inaccuracy in Advertisements placed by telephone.
(e) The guarantees contained in the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 are expressly excluded where the Customer acquires or holds itself out as acquiring goods or services from APN for the purposes of a business. The provisions of that Act do not apply to the goods or services provided under this Agreement or under any other written agreement the Customer may have with APN.
18. RETURN OF ADVERTISING MATERIAL: If the Customer requests the return of any material submitted to APN in relation to Advertising (“Advertising Material”), the Customer must collect Advertising Material submitted to APN immediately after publication. APN will endeavour to take reasonable care of Advertising Material in its custody and control, but will not be responsible for any loss or damage to Advertising Material (even if caused by APN's (its employees’, officers’ or agents’) negligence).
19. NO WAIVER: If at any time APN does not enforce any of these terms and conditions or grants the Customer time or other indulgence, APN shall not be construed as having waived that term or condition or its right to later enforce that or any other term or condition.
20. ASSIGNMENT: The Customer may not:
(a) assign any of its rights under any agreement or any part of an agreement to which these Terms & Conditions apply (including the rights to advertising space allocated in accordance with such an agreement) to any third party; or
(b) place Advertisements (whether directly or indirectly) on behalf of third party advertiser(s) (whether as an agent or otherwise),
except on terms previously agreed with APN. Advertisements are placed by a Customer on behalf of a third party advertiser where, for example (but without limitation), the Advertisement promotes or otherwise notifies readers as to the goods or services of the third party advertiser rather than the Customer.
21. GOVERNING LAW: These Terms and Conditions are governed by, and construed in accordance with the law in force in New Zealand. The parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in New Zealand, and any court that may hear appeals from any of those courts, for any proceedings in connection with these Terms and Conditions.
22. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held illegal or unenforceable, then such illegality or unenforceability shall not affect the remaining provisions of these Terms and Conditions which shall remain in full force and effect.
23. ADDITIONAL TERMS: In addition to these Terms and Conditions the Customer acknowledges that all Advertising, including the conditions of payment, delivery and changes to or cancellation of such Advertising, will be in accordance with and subject to any specific conditions notified to the Customer or generally published by APN from time to time, including on the relevant APN website.
24. AMENDMENT: APN may vary these Terms and Conditions at any time in its sole discretion, provided that:
(a) such amended terms will not affect prior agreed Advertising orders with a date of publication within 3 months from the date of the variation; and
(b) if the Customer does not agree with a variation the Customer may cease placing orders with APN.